Traveling Companions: What does that mean?

Traveling Companions are two disciples of Jesus committed to mutual love. It is interesting that Jesus made these two statements:
John 13:34
A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.
John 13:35
By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.

What Jesus meant by that

Now I am going to take a few liberties with the language, but I believe this is a fair reading of what Jesus seems to have meant.
1) Jesus is giving a "new command." This means to me that what He says next cannot be considered to be just a restatement of an old command. It must be distinct and different from any prior command. In particular, He is not simply restating "love your neighbor as yourself." That command is a very good one, but it cannot be identical to "love one another" since Jesus claims it is a "new command."
2) So what is this "new command?" Love one another. And what can that mean except mutual love? If my friend and I give one another birthday cards, it is clear that "one another" implies mutuality.
3) "...everyone will know...you are my disciples...if you love one another" Here we have three very important concepts wrapped up in a single Bible verse...
  • everyone will know There must be something visible, observable by anyone, that is somehow unique.
  • you are my disciples It will be evident that "disciples" are being observed
  • if you love one another There must be some exceptional Something going on between the disciples that is somehow unique

It Takes Two

One disciple cannot be good enough, holy enough, righteous enough to be observed as a disciple of Jesus. Name the person you believe is the best Christian, past or present.

According to Jesus, even that very holy and righteous person cannot be identified by "everyone" as a disciple of Jesus. Jesus said everyone would recognize his disciples (plural) by their relationship (love for one another). That takes two.

Certainly you and I are no greater than that hypothetical holy person. Nobody looking at either you or me may will know decisively that either of us is a disciple of Jesus. It is when others see our interactions, the love they see is manifest evidence that we are His disciples. I believe such a "noticeable love" develops when two disciples consistently and reliably love one another. I have experienced this kind of love, because I have made this kind of commitment and have watched the love grow. I am not done growing, either.

Buy the book!

Paperback:
Kindle:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why don't your grandchildren go to church?